Followers

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

GOT ME AGAIN

How often am I confronted with words that just creep into my heart, my mind and my soul and make me stop and ponder.
Well it happened again this week.
I have been reading Leviticus. Not what I would consider my favorite book of the Bible. It is actually (to sum it up quickly) a book about the laws and commands that God gave the Levites who would serve Him.
But on two consecutive days I read frequently:

"Be holy, because I , The LORD your GOD am holy."

"Consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am the Lord your God.

"I am the LORD who makes you holy"

"You are to be holy to me because I, the LORD, am holy and I have set you apart

OK I get it. GOD is holy. I have no problem with that at all. HE alone is true and pure and undefiled. HE is separate from all that is evil. HE does not tolerate evil. He is completely pure. IF HE wasn't, would I want to follow Him?

But He wants me to be holy? You to be holy? Isn't that asking a little much,Lord?
A footnote in my Bible, reads that for people, holy means being separated to God and from all that is unclean?
OUCH.
All that is unclean??
Like TV shows and movies I watch?
From music that I listen to?
From thoughts I have?
For the daydreams I have that might not be right?
From the people I hang out with?

Man, this is a tough one.
I am not being very holy. Don't get me wrong; I so desire to be holy. I want to separate myself for God, for His purposes.
But like I said, this one got me.
Holy isn't being "super religious" or "legalistic".
It is being who God wants me to be, who God envisions me to be, who God commands me to be.
I can not be holy if I rely on myself, I must rely on Him.
O LORD, help me to be holy, to be separated for you. Away from all that is unclean. Help me to be an example.

"Therefore, be holy, because I am holy."

No comments:

Post a Comment