Followers

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Purging

I know way too much about purging.

Webster's dictionary defines purge as the follows:
               

1. to rid of whatever is impure or undesirable; cleanse; purify.

2. to rid, clear, or free (usually followed by of  or from  ): to purge a political party of disloyal members.

3. to clear of imputed guilt or ritual uncleanliness.

4. to clear away or wipe out legally (an offense, accusation, etc.) by atonement or other suitable action.

5. to remove by cleansing or purifying (often followed by away, off,  or out  ). 
To a person with an eating disorder, Purging is getting rid of the food or liquids in your body by vomiting, so that you won't gain any weight. It is a vile process that eventually can burn your throat, making it almost impossible to eat or drink certain items that normally one would enjoy.
To a person suffering from addiction, whether it be alcohol, drugs, or food, it means denying oneself these items so that your body is clear and clean.  And begins an opportunity to become whole again and making the steps necessary for restoration with anybody that might have been hurt or harmed by your addiction.
For clarity's sake, I have never had an eating disorder or am not an addict, but I have had people I love the most in this world, beset by these awful diseases.
For me, I want to purge the weight off me-to be free and clear of all this excess poundage. It is not an easy task.
In Dueteronomy, in the last chapters of this book, God repeatedly tells the Israelites: 
"Purge the evil from you".
I think he says this to us today as well.
What is evil? 
There are so many examples: just yesterday the attack at the Boston Marathon, obviously September 11,2001. 
What about all the atrocities committed world wide? The genocides, the slavery of women and children either for sex or as soldiers. Guerilla warfare is another. Anything that is morally wrong and hurts others is evil. Child abuse, sexual assault, robbery, murder are some more.
But what about us? What is evil in your life? Something that is morally wrong or that hurts others. Something that hurts your relationship with God has to be bad.
Is it when we are disobedient to what He asks of us?
Is it evil when we gossip about someone or spread bad reports of others?
Is it when we cheat or lie for our own benefit?
Is it evil when we overlook someone else's misfortune and we have the power to help but don't.
For me, evil is being selfish.
This might not be true for everyone, but I know that the LORD has shown me when I am selfish and thinking of myself first, that its then, when evil or ugly thoughts come .
I know that to purge oneself of evil requires introspection. It is something individual between us and the LORD.  
It is something He asks us to do-actually because He states it so often , it is something He commands us to do.
I want to follow Christ. I want to be obedient. I want to be who He sees me to be, the person He envisions. To do that, I need to keep in constant communication with Him. I need to take the time to listen for Him. I need to self examine my life and see what needs to go. To see what is evil in my life.
Everyone's evil may look something different. All I know is that the LORD has commanded us "to purge the evil from you."
Will you begin to take those steps? I hope you will join me in ridding our lives of that what is harmful to us and to others .          

No comments:

Post a Comment