Followers

Monday, April 25, 2011

A Very WISE MAN

Solomon is considered the wisest man ever to have lived.
I wish I could have had a few conversations with him over a good cup of coffee (with some flavors of course!).
Today I was reading in Ecclesiastes. I read thru chapter 6, but it really took me a long time cause there was so much to ponder. If I were to begin to write down all that I thought, you might have to read forever, and lets be honest: I am not even in the slightest near as wise as Solomon was, and you would get bored fairly quickly I would guess.

In chapter 1 he writes that
"No matter how much we see, we are never satisfied. No matter how much we hear, we are never content."

Can that really be true?? If it is, why are we  like that? I know that in my quest to know more and love God more deeply, this is true. What I read in His Word, or what I might read in a book, makes me want to know and follow Him more.

Then in Chapter 2 , Solomon concludes:
"So I decided there is nothing better than to enjoy food and drink and to find satisfaction in work. then I realized that these pleasures are from God. For who can eat or enjoy anything apart from Him?"

Wow. Am I not enjoying the life that God has given me? He wants me to enjoy this life because He has given me life.
Why is it then that I can complain, lust and want more? Solomon adds similar words further in Chapter 6

"Enjoy what you have rather than desiring what you don't have. Just dreaming about nice things is meaningless."

Enjoy what you have. Oh I want to enjoy every minute, but I don't.
BUT i do enjoy Scud and spending time with him. I look forward to spending any time that I can with my kids. And Kellen and Jax? Well I enjoy every moment with those 2 precious little boys-even when they are sick.
I enjoy seeing my friends immensely. Especially since my dearest friends are no longer close. Every single time with them is a treasure.
I enjoy living at Woodleaf. The spectacular beauty I see every morning out our front window is never lost on me.
But sometimes I wish I lived closer to my family and friends.
I just thoroughly enjoyed my vacation to Kauai...but wish it was longer.
I enjoy my work..both past and present.
What a privilege it is that I get to meet with college kids and share Jesus with them and try to encourage them to walk closely with Him. I enjoy seeing their zest for life and how much they enjoy life.
And yes, I still miss my nursing career. What joy and privilege it was to minister to countless patients and their families. And I loved learning about the human body more and more as each year passed.

And in chapter 5, wise Solomon admonishes us :

"Enjoy your work and accept your lot in life-this is indeed a gift from God. God keeps such people so busy enjoying life that they take no time to brood over the past."

That's what I want for today. To enjoy life.
That's what I want for tomorrow and the many days following.
To enjoy my work and to accept my lot in life.
Because this is the life that God gave me.
I want to enjoy all the precious gifts of people, places, animals, work that He has given me.
I don't want to brood over the past or what might have been.
I want to see life with my eyes wide open to what He has in store for me today.
I want to listen for Him and His leading. I want to love those He puts in my path today. I want to represent Jesus accurately. I want to enjoy all that He has blessed me with.
And I want that for you too.
So I am off to enjoy life today. How about you do the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment